Wednesday 21 October 2015

Careers Evening at my old school

Just as I was going to my lab session at university on Monday I had a quick read of my emails and found that the Careers Evening I signed up to do at my old school was tomorrow! Luckily I didn't need to prepare a presentation though otherwise I think I might have fainted! ;)

I was going to have a stand in one of the rooms of the main building of the school where a school friend of mine and myself would talk to the students (Yr10-13) about university life, A level choices, UCAS, but also share experiences of the subject we were studying, physics in my case.

So tomorrow came along (yesterday at the time of writing) and I arrived at school welcomed by the sixth form students - some of which I had helped them with their personal statements. I was given a visitors badge and went into the room that I would be in for the rest of the evening. I found that my physics teacher had left the plasma ball and the leaflets I made as well as some IOP (Institute of Physics) ones outside the room - so lovely! (Thanks Sir!) I then began setting up and the final touch was switching the plasma ball on. My old school friend was also in the room with me and he loved the plasma ball as much as I did even though he's a biochemist! ;) We went to get a few refreshments before the clock struck five. We were back in our positions and the students and parents began to come in. By six, they were flooding in!

A lot of the students had recognised me from the school newsletter from 2013! It was so nice that the students could relate to me because I used to wear the same uniform, sit in the same classroom seats and had the same teachers. For the GCSE students I spoke about A level choices which was the next biggest chapter in their lives and told them that they shouldn't rule out physics because everyone complains that it's hard or its a guy subject. I spoke about the numerous career opportunities that could await them if they chose physics and that they would stand out from many others if they had it as one of their A level choices.

To the A level students I spoke about the UCAS process, personal statement writing and how to research different university courses so that they could choose the perfect one for them. I also gave them tips on finding work experience and to the lovers of STEM I encouraged them to apply to some Exscitec courses - which I loved when I applied!

I honestly came home with such a huge smile on my face! Some of the students I saw I had mentored a few years ago and now they've grown so much! It was lovely to be a part of the school again for an evening and inspire the younger generation.

I would definitely recommend going back into your old school for a talk, careers event or any other activity and share your experience. The students will certainly appreciate it and you'd be a huge inspiration for them too!

Here are some pictures from the Careers Evening:

I am reunited with the plasma ball!

My stand

No comments:

Post a Comment