Saturday 10 October 2015

Saying goodbye to my summer placement

This week was a great time for me to make the most of working in the plasma group over the summer. I spoke to as many people as possible where they gave me advice, shared their stories and acted as an inspiration for me. I also got to see some cool experiments being done and some very cool data too! Everyone was so happy to share their stories and their work with me and I couldn't be more grateful. Because of their stories and all the things I've learnt and done over the summer I couldn't be more motivated to continue life in academia and in particular plasma physics! I love the fact that laser-plasma interactions can be used within the medical field where x-rays are produced and can be used for medical imaging - this is right up my street and it would be an absolute dream if I could one day be a part of this amazing field of research!

I will certainly miss going up to level 7 of the Physics Department, sitting in the office with great minds all working on cutting edge science, working in the lab and of course that physics banter! ;)

I would definitely recommend any school or undergraduate students to step outside your comfort zone and give a summer placement a go! You'll learn so many great skills, it will look amazing on your CV or personal statement and most importantly you'll make great connections that could give you a head-start in your career! For me, Exscitec, Nuffield Research Placements, UROPs (for Imperial College students) and generally Google-ing companies that would host a summer placement were the best routes to finding one. Also talk to your teachers, academic tutors or older students and ask them about their summer placements or how to apply for one and where to look - I'm sure you'll find the perfect placement! Also apply now! The earlier the better :)

If that hasn't convinced you to take on a summer placement then check out the cool things I got to work with and see over the summer in the following pictures, enjoy!






My lab workspace over the summer! (IR laser to the right)



High-speed camera


I characterised 22 optics!





Laser goggles!









Cube polariser!




My orders arriving in the lab



















The lab I worked in over the summer




Optical trapping system!


I was trying to replicate this over the summer - a balloon-popping laser known as the POP-O-MATIC!

Got to work with class 3b lasers!




Lab snacks -- mmmm... Tasty ;)

Lots and lots of screws!











Entering my physics paradise ;)




The work shall be continued...
Here's a short video of what I got up to over the summer:


No comments:

Post a Comment